Thursday, June 3, 2010

Pursuing Happiness in a Lamborghini 1

Americans are broad-minded people. They'll accept the fact that a person can be an alcoholic, a dope fiend, a wife beater, and even a newspaperman, but if a man doesn't drive, there is something wrong with him. ~Art Buchwald, "How Un-American Can You Get?," Have I Ever Lied to You?, 1966

______________________________

The North American obsession with cars hasn't changed much since 1966, but the cars have. I was born in 1965 and grew up with
the Jetsons promising flying cars in my future. Most cars still don't fly but that doesn't mean we we're tired of driving them. I'm off to Halifax, Nova Scotia tonight to meet up with my brother and his Lamborghini Gallardo LP560. The "560" is the horsepower rating of the motor so maybe we'll be flying after all.

I can't say that I know what to expect from this adventure but I doubt if I'll ever think of the phrase "road trip" in quite the same way again.

No comments:

Post a Comment